- Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre
- Borneo Sun Bear Conservation Centre
- Sukau Rainforest Lodge
- Kinabatangan River
- Hornbill Boardwalk
- Orang Utan Talk
- Rainforest Discovery Centre (Optional)
- Sandakan Memorial Park (Optional)
Choose Your Activity
Select Package Option and Local Operator
Your holiday starts at the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre and Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre in Sepilok to learn about Sabah's unique fauna. Then, continue by road (Superior room reservations) or by boat (Borneo Villa bookings) to Sukau Rainforest Lodge at Kinabatangan River, which was recognized as one of National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World. Join the 3 nature cruises down the Kinabatangan river and enjoy the lodge's promenade and plunge pool. Meals & drinks are served at the lodge's restaurant and deck overlooking the majestic view of Kinabatangan River.
About Sukau Rainforest Lodge
The 20 rooms, multi international award winner, has just been recognized by National Geographic as a National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World. Awarded the Best Nature Lodge in Sabah by Sabah Tourism in 2013/2014, named by National Geographic Adventure magazine in 2009 as one of the top 50 jungle lodges in the world and the winner of the 17th World Travel Awards 2010 as Asia's leading Green Hotel.
Built in 1995 in traditional Malaysian architecture using several Borneo hardwood species, it went through a major RM2 million renovation in 2010. It is built on stilts with a bar lounge, gift shop, plunge pool, Gomantong Hall meeting place, education centre, Hornbill Boardwalk, three open decks for wildlife viewing, an enclosed garden, a riverside Melapi restaurant, open sun-deck, river jetty. All rooms have attached bathroom and shower water is supplied through rainwater harvesting and hot water by solar heaters. Air is cooled by cross ventilation air currents, ceiling fan and since July 2016 energy saving inverter air-conditioning. Lighting is supplemented by oil lamps using recycled cooking oil. River tours are conducted by boats powered by electric motors and eco-friendly outboard engines.
The Lower Kinabatangan Wildlife Sanctuary which covers an area of 26,800 hectares, forms part of the Kinabatangan region which is the largest floodplain the Malaysia covering a total of 23% of the land area of Sabah or 16,800 sq.km. Gazetted in 2005 as a gift to the Earth, it has a diverse ecosystem from coastal mangrove swamp, to riparian, freshwater and dipterocarp and oxbow vegetation teaming with wildlife supporting ten species of primates including more than 1,000 orang utans, proboscis monkeys, more than 300 Borneo pygmy elephants, 50 species of mammals, 20 species of reptiles and over 1,026 species of plants. Birdlife is especially rich here (over 325 species have been sighted in the area) including eight species of hornbills, kingfishers, darters, owls, kites, eagles, broadbills, doves, storm storks, herons, hawks, ospreys, falcon, pheasants, parakeets, bee eaters, woodpeckers, pittas, bulbuls, forktails, babblers, warblers, flycatchers, orioles, flowerpeckers, spiderhunters, among others.
- Unscheduled Transfer will incur an additional surcharge (Overland) / Any departure EARLIER THAN 2:00PM will strictly be overland basis with a surcharge. However this is still subject to your onwards destination (Boat)
- Scheduled Overland Transfer from Sandakan - Sukau: 1:30PM
- Scheduled Overland Transfer from Sukau - Sandakan: 9:00AM
- Scheduled Boat Transfer from Sukau - Sandakan SYC Jetty: 9:00AM
- Note on Camera Use at Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre:
- For any camera with zoom lens from 100 to 400mm, video camera or other video recording equipment for personal use are chargeable at RM10.00 per unit. For any camera (fixed-lens - 400mm and above) or any filmmaking equipment are chargeable at RM1,000.00 per unit. Mode of payment is cash only.
- For the comfort and convenience of our guests, it is recommended to travel light by preparing an overnight bag, per person before arriving in Sukau Rainforest Lodge. A complimentary storage is provided for any extra luggage. (For guests departing & returning to Sandakan only)
- Every boat for the river cruises are equipped with outboard engines and electric motor. With its clean and quiet operation, the electric motor will be turned on to maneuver the boat only during wildlife viewing (if location and river current permits). This way, you’ll be able to truly enjoy the wildlife experience without disturbing the peace and quiet of the natural surroundings.
What To Bring
- Sunblock Lotion
- Personal Toiletries
- Torch Light
- Insect Repellent
- Drinking Water Bottle
- Walking Shoes
Please bring your own refillable water bottle as Sukau Rainforest Lodge is moving towards a single-use plastic free environment! The vans and coaches are prepared with water containers so that you can refill your bottle anytime throughout the tour.
How to Make Booking
Follow these simple 3 steps action to instantly book this activity.
Select Travel Date
Choose Package Option
Select Local Operator
Need Assistance ?
Make use of Sabah Travel's complimentary service to plan your travel with us.